Overdraft Prevention and Protection
Tools to track and manage your spending
Knowledge is power—especially when it comes to your finances
When you have a clear picture of where your money's going, it's easier to plan ahead and make decisions. The tools and services on this page can help you track and manage your funds, so you're always in the loop and up to date.
Prepare for the unexpected
Be proactive and layer multiple levels of protection.
Enjoy purchase assurance
Always know your balance and keep track with our online tools.
Avoid service disruptions
Stay in the know with security, card and account alerts.
Brush up on your expertise by exploring our growing library of Insights. Browse dozens of simple, easy-to-read articles in a range of financial categories:
- Budgeting and Saving
- Banking and Security
- Calculators and more
Overdraft protection and services
Your checking account is automatically provided Basic Overdraft Service, but it's not your only option. Layering overdraft protection options or opting in to Enhanced Overdraft Service can help you prepare for unexpected expenses.
- Overdraft protection allows funds from your linked accounts to be used to cover overdrafts
- Enhanced Overdraft Service extends our Basic Overdraft Service to include potential coverage for ATM and one-time debit card transactionsD
Enjoy the convenience of recurring automatic deposits with our direct deposit service.
- Great for regular monthly income (salary, pensions, SSI benefits, etc.)
- Receive an alert when your money is deposited
- Get same-day access to your deposited funds
Manage your money online
It's easy to keep a bird's-eye view of your finances with our online banking platform.
- Check your account balances anytime, anywhere
- Set up a budget and track your expenses
- Easily move money between accounts
- View your monthly statements and set up alerts
Download our secure mobile app and access Digital Banking on the go. You can even deposit checks without visiting a branch.
Zelle® makes it easy and safe to send money directly to almost any bank account in the US—usually within minutes.D
Stay updated with alerts
Log in to Digital Banking to set up and manage your security, card and account alerts. You'll receive a text, an email or both whenever an alert is triggered.
These alerts help you track your account balances, and they can be customized to suit your needs.
- Get daily balance updates
- Receive an alert when overdraft protection is used
- Be notified when your balance drops below a specific amount
If you want to track debit or credit card activity, these alerts will keep you in the loop.
- Get a reminder before payment is due
- Be alerted if transactions exceed a specific amount
- Know when your card number is used to make a purchase
Turning on security alerts will help you stay informed about changes to your Digital Banking profile.
- Know if your login ID or password is changed
- Be alerted when someone logs in to your account
- Get notified when an external transfer is authorized
A few financial insights for your life
Need help with protecting your account?
Account openings and credit are subject to normal bank approval.
First Citizens does not charge fees to download or access First Citizens Digital Banking, including the First Citizens mobile banking app. Mobile carrier fees may apply for data and text message usage. Check with your carrier for more information. Fees may apply for use of certain services in First Citizens Digital Banking.
Please see our Digital Banking Fee Schedule and Digital Banking Agreement.
Zelle® and the Zelle® related marks are wholly owned by Early Warning Services, LLC and are used herein under license.
Please see the Zelle® Terms of Service.
If the available funds in your account are insufficient to pay an item when presented, First Citizens Bank will make a decision on whether to pay the item or return it unpaid. When we pay an item for which there are insufficient funds, it results in an overdraft. The following overdraft fee structure applies to eligible Consumer accounts: First Citizens Bank will charge you $10 each time we pay an item resulting in an overdraft, up to our limit of four (4) overdraft charges per business day. We will not charge you for overdrafts caused by transactions of $5.00 or less, nor for items returned unpaid. You are obligated to pay overdrafts immediately. Consumers have the option to decline overdraft service. First Citizens Bank also offers overdraft protection programs, though none is available on the Together Card. Please see our Deposit Account Agreement for additional details.
A US checking or savings account is required to use Zelle®. Transactions between enrolled consumers typically occur in minutes and generally do not incur transaction fees.
Bank deposit products are offered by First Citizens Bank. Member FDIC and an Equal Housing Lender. icon: sys-ehl.