Get the information you need to open your business account
To open a business account with us, you’ll need some documents. Make sure you have everything you need readily available. Here’s a list of some common business documents to help you get started. You may be asked to provide more or less, depending on your business type and need.
- Personal identifying information, including your Social Security number (or passport information for non-US residents),D is required for anyone with 25% or greater ownership or significant responsibility. For example, a chief executive officer, chief financial officer, chief operating officer, managing member, general partner, president, vice president or treasurer.
- Federal employee identification number (EIN). A Social Security number can be substituted for sole member LLCs and sole proprietors.
- If your business does not have an EIN, you may apply for one on the IRS website or by calling the IRS at 800-829-4933.
- Business status listed as active, current or good standing on the website of the state entity where the corporation, LLC, or partnership is registered. Verify your business status at your state's Secretary of State website.D
- LLCs, partnerships and sole proprietors must fill out and sign the Declaration of Unincorporated Business (PDF).
Additional documents based on your business type
- Certified articles of incorporation, corporate charter or government-issued business license, corporate bylaws
- 501(c) letter from the IRS or tax-exempt documentation for nonprofits
- Corporate resolution certified by corporate secretary or other applicable officer, and a signature card signed by account signers
Limited Liability Companies (LLC)
- Articles of organization or government-issued business license
- Partnership agreement for general partnerships
- Certificate of limited partnership for limited partnerships
- Two forms of identification such as a driver license or Social Security number
- Certificate of assumed name, if using a trade or assumed name and if required by state law
Some legal entities may be eligible for full or partial exclusion from beneficial ownership requirement based on business type or organizational structure.
Bank deposit products are offered by First Citizens Bank. Member FDIC and an Equal Housing Lender. icon: sys-ehl.